KINGSTON, Jamaica; The Electoral Office of Jamaica (EOJ) is fully prepared to receive nominations of candidates for the by-election in the constituency of Clarendon South Eastern. Nomination will take place on Wednesday, February 12 from 10:00a.m. to 2:00p.m. at the Vere Technical High School.
On nomination day, any person wishing to register as a candidate is required to:
- fill out a nomination form signed by any ten or more electors registered to vote in the constituency;
- return the form to the Returning Officer between the hours of 10:00a.m. and 2:00p.m.; and
- pay the nomination fee of J$15,000.
Subject to the provisions of the Constitution of Jamaica (Sections 39 and 40), any person seeking to enter as a candidate to sit in the House of Representative should:
- be a citizen of Jamaica, resident in Jamaica for at least twelve months prior to the date of nomination or a Commonwealth citizen who has resided in Jamaica for at least twelve months prior to the nomination date;
- be at least 21 years of age.
Political Parties Registration & Campaign Financing
The financing and expenditure of candidates and political parties in the Clarendon South Eastern by-election will be monitored under the Representation of the People (Amendment) Act 2016. Candidates, political parties and contributors to election campaigns (private citizens, corporate bodies and members of the Jamaican diaspora) will be required to make the relevant disclosures to the Electoral Commission of Jamaica (ECJ) in keeping with the law.
Political parties intending to contest the election must be registered with the ECJ under the Representation of the People (Amendment) Act 2014. Individuals wishing to contest the election who are not members of registered political parties may do so as independent candidates.